Monday, August 12, 2013

Kill 'Em with Kindness

So, there are always those select few students that you know are going to be squirrels. You can sense it like a dog senses fear. That's just what teachers do; it's that innate talent, that thing we're born with. Then there are always a select few who you know could cause major problems. So what to do? Kill 'em with kindness. Let them know you care for them, no matter what. That's what I'm going to do this year. I'm not going to let my buttons be pushed. I'm not going to let them see me frown.
I tried it today with a particular student whom I KNOW wants attention. She's just dying for it, either positive OR negative. So, I gave it to her. Despite me not feeling like I could trust her perhaps, I wrote her a pass and asked her to run an errand to the front office for me. And, I think it worked. Though she has already caused problems in other classes for other teachers, she isn't causing too much of a conflict for me. I think, or hope anyway, if I just keep it up, she might find that I am the ONE person she can count on to care for her even if she causes waves. I want to convey that I might dislike her behaviors if they get out of hand, but I will never dislike HER --- because she is a human being, just like me.

No comments: